Friday 29 September 2017

Friday's Fave Five - 29/9/17


Fridays are a time to look back on the week and share our blessings.
If you want to join in or check out the other participants pop over to our host Suzanne's blog at Living to Tell the Story


Well I have 2 weeks of blessings to catch up on here!  How did I ever find time to work?


1)  Retirement.  Well I still don't think of myself as retired as I'm not old enough to draw my pension but I'm fortunate not to be working and although there are days when I feel I'm being lazy there are others, like today, when I do look back on the week and think where did the time go?  Hubby does sometimes (jokingly I think/hope) suggest we do a role reversal where I go back to work and he quits but I think he's happy still working 3 days a week.  Gives us a long weekend every week.

2)  Celebrating my friend's 60th birthday.  She just had a quiet gathering at her house last Saturday with her hubby, their 3 daughters and partners, another couple and us.  It was exactly what she wanted and it was lovely catching up.  Kim and I have been friends since she first asked to come and see my firstborn just after I'd brought her home.  She lived across the road from me then and we were always there for one another as we quickly produced 6 babies between us.  We still live quite close and get together when we can, but I know that if I had an emergency she would be there for me and vice versa. 

3)  Pilates.  I went to my third session this morning and I'm really enjoying it.  It feels good to be doing something just for me and I'm sure it's helping my posture and my dodgy knee.  It's an early start, 9.15, but it's only a five minute walk away so I still feel when I get home that I have the whole day ahead and I'm ready to go.

4)  Reading group.  I attended my library's monthly reading group for the first time this week.  I was a bit nervous as I had no idea how many people would be there or how "bookish" they might be, especially given the book choice for the month.  (Two short novellas by the Japanese writer Murakami which I reviewed here).  It was an interesting session with only a few people so it wasn't daunting at all and I wasn't the only one not to have enjoyed the book.  

5)  My son and his wife have had an offer on a flat accepted.  We're all going to see it tomorrow.  They seem really pleased about it although it was the first one they had actually visited but it ticks all their boxes.  Of course lots of things could go wrong before they complete and get the keys but it's exciting that they are now looking for their first real home together, although that will leave us empty nested again.  But it's time.

I hope you've all had a good week and enjoy the weekend!


11 comments:

  1. I did pilates for a while in the morning before work. Great way to start the day. Sounds like you've had a wonderful weekend. Hope you have a fantastic weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you made a good decision retiring when you did. Amazing how time just flies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really put the "onus" on me to get going to do something physical just for me.. at 67 I find I have gotten more and more sedate....think I''ll do out and at least do a bit of watering .... my new mums are looking peaked! We need rain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for tackling pilates! Good to read the blessings you enjoyed. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep us posted on the kids' new flat! Good for you, doing pilates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurray for retirement and that you have full days and slow days. I know that I will love retirement and won't have a problem with either type of day. How lovely that your hubby has a 3 day weekend each week. Sound like a good amount of togetherness until his retirement does come.

    Good for you in continuing your pilates. You are seeing progress so quickly. That must be encouraging.

    Happy news for your kiddos. I hope they get the flat.

    Someday I hope to join a book club. I hadn't heard of the book y'all read. Glad it turned out to be a good experience.

    I hope your week is a lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll bet you will slip right back into loving being an empty-nester!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am at home, too, and I can always find plenty to keep busy - sometimes busier than I'd like! Your friend's quiet celebration is just my style. Glad you got to celebrate with her! Glad the Pilates is working out for you. I have never been in a reading group (in person - have been in a few online) but it sounds like it might be fun. Hope everything works out for your son and d-i-l's flat! Sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only work part-time, and I'm looking forward to retirement. I'm sure your days fill up quickly. The book group and pilates both sound interesting. I need to get my rear in gear and find some kind of regular activity. I am missing my empty nest:( I'm sure you will settle back into yours quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been contemplating a book group at the local library. You might just have motivated me to give it a go. I'm terrible with new people, but get awfully lonely here so far from home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to your son and his wife. A first home is so exciting. The book group sounds like lots of fun. Happy birthday to your friend. You sound like you are enjoying your retirement. Nice to have some days lazy and some days busy.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.