Friday 28 April 2017

Review: My Name Is Lucy Barton

My Name Is Lucy Barton My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book. It's quite a simple premise - during a prolonged spell in hospital Lucy is visited by her estranged Mother. The book recounts their conversations but also allows Lucy to contemplate her upbringing and come to a better understanding of certain things.

The story is told after the spell in hospital so Lucy also chronicles other elements in her life; marriage, work, becoming a mother herself.

There are no big surprises, no big dramatic events, just a story of a life seen through the first person. But really well told.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I love a novel where not much drama happens... just life reflected interestingly. Never heard of this one. Mind you I generally choose Australian authors. Blatant bias. And having been a publisher in the small Australian market.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.