Monday 25 April 2016

U is for Upton Park




The theme for my A-Z posts this year is London Underground Stations.  I've chosen a station for each letter and at the end of each post I've listed the other stations for that letter with their Wikipedia entries.  I've tried to visit each station and take my own photos.




Upton Park tube station 1.jpg
Image courtesy of Wikipedia
Of the “U” stations Upton Park is the closest to home.  It was opened in 1877 as part of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway a mainline service.  Underground District line services began in 1902 and in 1936 Metropolitan Line trains began stopping at the station.

The mainline services stopped in 1936 and this section of the Metropolitan is now the Hammersmith and City Line.  It is similar to the station at East Ham which opened around the same time. 

Upton Park is also the nearest station to West Ham United’s current home stadium, the Boleyn Ground.  The ground was rented from Green Street House which was known locally as Boleyn Castle due to its association with Anne Boleyn, wife of Henry VIII.  (It’s believed that she either stayed there or owned the house at some point.)  

West Ham are our local team and many of our family members, including hubby and my eldest son are supporters.  I grew up with family members who worked at the Tottenham Hotspur Football Club so although I’m not really a supporter I still consider Tottenham my team.  Throw into the mix our youngest son who supports Liverpool and things can get a bit fraught at crucial times of the football season!  
Boleyn Ground Upton Park 1.jpg
Image courtesy of Wikipedia
This is the last season that West Ham will play at the Boleyn ground.  When the new season starts later this year they will be based at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford.  Their current ground will be redeveloped for housing, leisure and retail outlets.

Green Street Market, Upton Park, Newham.
Market Stalls in Green Street - image courtesy of the BBC
Next to the station is Queen’s Road Market.  When this street market began in the Victoria era the stalls were on the main road running past the station, Green Street.  Its traders were mainly Jewish and from Whitechapel and the surrounding area.  With the increase in traffic and the introduction of trams the stalls were moved into Queen’s Road in 1904.

Over time the site has been modernised and is now covered.  It is also much more diverse due to the ethnic changes in the area.  Green Street itself has come to reflect the large Asian community in the area.  If you want Asian food, clothing or jewellery this is the place to go.


Photos courtesy of the web today - just didn't get the time to get down there!





Other “U” stations are:

Next stop V is for ...?  Come back tomorrow to see.  Thanks for visiting.

6 comments:

  1. Not an area I am familiar with yet. The market sounds interesting with its Asian influences. We are so lucky in London to have a wide and diverse cultural mix that we could probably find something from any country in the world if we searched long enough. Look forward to seeing where you are in your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting information about the area around Upton Park. It's an area I'm unfamiliar with. Funny that you say you nominally support Tottenham... me too, although I don't even really like football! :)

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another interesting post, Wendy! You really chose a great subject for your A-Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great post!! You have educated me beyond my boring old self.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful theme for the A to Z Challenge. Thank you for stopping by my blog - it allowed me to find and enjoy your work! I am excited to catch up with - and to read your future - posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.