Thursday 7 April 2016

F is for Forest Gate

The theme for my A-Z posts this year is London Underground Stations.  I've chosen a station for each letter and at the end of each post I've listed the other stations for that letter with their Wikipedia entries.  I've tried to visit each station and take my own photos.
 
I’m bending the rules again here because Forest Gate is currently only an overground station on what was a British Rail line.  It was opened in 1840 and is now under the management of Transport for London (TFL) as a TFL Rail station.
Forest Gate Station March 2016

I’ve chosen it over the underground stations because not only is it our local station but it will be become an Elizabeth line* station when that line opens next year and we will be able to travel across London above and below ground without changing trains. (*Previously known as Crossrail.) 

Work has already commenced on the station to prepare it.  There will be new staircases and lifts to provide step free access to the platforms.  To facilitate this the front of the station has now been closed and passengers are having to use a side entrance and a new bridge over the platforms.  The line is also currently closed at weekends to enable works to the lines.  Of course this is all very disruptive but the benefits will hopefully be worth it.  We’ll be able to get one train right through to Heathrow airport.  Much easier than it is at the moment.

Since I took the photo above last month, two building containers have been delivered and placed in front of the building.  I don't think you can even see the Forest Gate sign from the front.  No wonder announcements are being made on trains suggesting passengers alight at nearby stations and complete their journeys by bus!

There will also be improvements to the road junction where the station is.  Forest Gate is an improving area.  Already we are seeing more independent shops opening but the downside of all this is that house prices are increasing very fast and it makes it very hard for young people, including my son and his wife, to be able to afford to live here.

For those of us who have been here a while (hubby and I were both born in the now closed Forest Gate Maternity  Hospital) we’re certainly benefitting from the improvements.



“F” underground stations are:


Next stop G is for ….? Check back tomorrow to find out.

6 comments:

  1. I love how organized and efficient this process seems to be. Maybe it doesn't look like that to you, but in Hawaii, finally in Honolulu after 30 or 40 years of debate, they are building a rapid transit system like a rail line, and it is super expensive, and I think being done not so intelligently.... Traffic is so bad on Oahu - island where Honolulu is located, women are giving birth on the side of the highway, there is so much traffic, they cannot get to the hospital in time. So, I know it seems awfully inconvenient w/ the construction but I wish we had your intelligence of your planners here! Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess when you consider how old our underground system is they have had a long time to get things right! Your situation sounds awful especially for those poor women. I hope you get a good transport service once it's completed.

      Delete
  2. I am amazed at how long your underground stations have been around. This is so informative!!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.