Wednesday 7 October 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge 7/10/15



Wednesday's Hodgepodge is brought to us courtesy of Joyce at 

Pop over there to see other posts and if you want to join in add your blog post to the Linky List at the end of Joyce's post.

Have fun!

1. It's October so let's get this out there first thing...have you jumped on the all-things-pumpkin bandwagon? How so?

Not me I’m afraid.   Firstly I don’t have any young children and secondly I don’t really get the whole Halloween thing.  I do have treats to hand if we get any kids knocking for trick or treat.
2.  "We have more power than will; and it is often by way of excuse to ourselves that we fancy things are impossible." Francois Duc De la Rochefoucauld  

What's something you once thought impossible, but in hindsight see as more a matter of lack of will?

I’m not sure I can think of anything that I thought of as impossible that I’ve subsequently at least tried if not completed.  I definitely lack willpower at times but I have overcome things.  I never thought I would fly to America and travel around using trains and planes the way we did last year but I’m glad we did.  Our son’s wedding was a great incentive.
3. The rose is America's National Flower, but every state also has its own (click here to see the list). Are you happy with yours? If you were in charge what would you declare your state's flower? If you're outside the U.S. what bloom would you like to see labeled as your country's national flower?

Well England has the Tudor Rose as its national flower and I’m happy with that.
4. What have you lost interest in recently? 

It’s not really a recent thing but I have stopped watching British Soap operas.  I used to watch things like EastEnders and Coronation Street but I don’t watch them or the Australian ones any more. 
5. In your opinion, who's the best living musician?
I wouldn’t dream of giving my opinion on this – my musical skills are extremely limited and music is so varied that I think this might be an impossible task.

6. S'mores-love 'em or no? Ever make them indoors? Last time you sat around an outdoor fire? Are making s'mores and sitting round a fire pit on your autumn bucket list? Do you have an autumn bucket list? 

Don’t love them or hate them.  If they’re offered to me I will eat them.  Haven’t sat around an outdoor fire for a while.  We used to have an annual family camping trip where we would sit around the fire but now we’ve moved on to a large converted Oast House for our get together.  It’s more civilised but it does lack the campfire. Don't have a bucket list.
7. Your favorite small town? Why?

I love Brighton.  My daughter was at university there so we’ve visited a few times.   It has some winding narrow lanes with interesting shops.  I also like Southwold which is a small seaside town, complete with pretty beach huts.  Both, of course, have the plus point of being on the coast.  I do love to visit the sea.
8. Insert your own random thought here.  

We can put men on the moon and a probe on Mars.  We can pay our sports stars and celebrities obscene amounts of money.  Why are people still dying of cancer or developing dementia?

6 comments:

  1. I SO agree with your random thought today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, your random thought is certainly a very good question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, your random thought is certainly a very good question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That #8 is an excellent question and one I sure wish could be answered. I enjoyed your Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soap operas have basically died here in the states. I think there are maybe two running but the one I loved stopped years ago. Those towns sound lovely. Amen to your random thought, that is so true and so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your random thought. I think cancers and disease are so complicated. We've made amazing progress towards a cure for so many cancers, and treatments are so much improved and giving people more years upon diagnosis. Plus we diagnose earlier in many instances, so while there's no firm cure, I do feel we're getting there. Hope it's in my lifetime!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.