Saturday 4 April 2015

A - Z Challenge - D is for Daughter



My theme for this challenge is family and relations.


Daughter “a girl or woman having the relation of child to parent”


I have only one daughter and she is very special to me.  She is beautiful from the inside out, intelligent, caring and I could go on adding positive adjectives all day.  Yes I am proud of her.  Proud of the woman she has become.  She is a woman with her own mind and attitudes at times.  We have a good relationship.


But I can’t take all the credit for her.  Some obviously goes to my husband but some of it I believe comes from me having had a good mother/daughter relationship with my own mother.  I’m sure that many of the lessons I learned from that have been passed on in the way we’ve raised our daughter.


A while back she gave me a journal for me to complete that will then be a gift to her containing my memories for her to keep.  I hadn’t touched it for ages but I’ve recently been working on it and it’s been good to look back and remember things.  Like her birth, which was quite traumatic and ended in an emergency C-section so the first thing I can remember thinking when I first saw her (a topic in the journal) was relief.  Pure relief that she was ok.


Other entries include when she first did things: for someone who is very bright she took to rolling across the floor rather than crawling at first and was quite slow to walk!  She never liked going to bed, frightened she would miss something.  Once she started to talk there was no stopping her.


I remember her as being a beautiful little baby and then I look at the photographic evidence and realise she was actually not little at all!  Rather chubby in fact until she slimmed down to a skinny little thing who looked underfed in her ballet uniform.


And now she is all grown up, has left home and in October this year she will add a new title to her relationships, wife.  Of course this means her first allegiance will no longer be to me, her mother, but to her partner and that is as it should be.  I’m a firm believer that you have to let your children grow and then go.  But if you do that right you will never actually lose them.

7 comments:

  1. I have no daughter (two sons) and when I see my sister with her daughter, I know I am missing out. Your relationship with your daughter sounds very special and I'm very slightly envious of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a daughter either as I only have two sons. I'm glad that you have a good relationship with your daughter and how lucky for her that you understand that this next phase of her life is first with her partner and not with you.

    Thanks for stopping by during the A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful journey between mother and daughter.. How lucky you both are. Congratulations to her on her next major life event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this a lovely idea and wonderful keepsake for your daughter to treasure in the future. I have three sons (and I adore them) but I know I am missing out that special mother/daughter relationship. I was very close to my mother (who was also my best friend) and when she died it was a big loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. I too have a awesome relationship with my daughter. We must give them wings and even though they don't live under our roof anylonger, the relationship maintains...it just changes over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you have a lovely relationship with your daughter :)
    My family likes to chuckle when we look through old photos because I definitely did *not* look underfed in my ballet outfits! I had a very healthy young belly, but loved to dance :)
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Happy A-Z'ing :)
    ~AJ Lauer
    an A-Z Cohost
    @ayjaylauer on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started a picture journal for my daughter that I've had a hard time finding time to complete. You just inspired me to get back to it! Congratulations on gaining a new son in the near future ;)

    You can find me here:
    ClarabelleRant

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.